Indian Hill, Ohio
Turner Farm is a working farm in Indian Hill, Ohio, which has been in operation since the early 1800’s. In 1994 Bonnie Mitsui returned to the farm, which was now her family's property, and began transforming the property into a truly unique farm and community. The mission of Turner Farm is to “draw lessons from our rural heritage to help build a positive future, demonstrating that local, organic, low-impact food production grows healthy communities and healthy ecosystems.”
This project is particularly exciting because it is an opportunity to combine state of the art green building techniques with a historic structure. We are restoring an old barn and rebuilding the shed addition to serve as a demonstration and teaching kitchen.
The first phase of the project was renovating the studio barn to be used as an educational space. We replaced & reinforced several decayed timbers, reinforced the lofts and rebuilt stairs to meet modern building code. The siding & roofing were removed, and closed cell insulation was applied to the outside of the timber frame. With "reverse board and batten" sandwiched between the original salvaged siding and new subsiding we achieved a rainscreen. The barn is back to its original appearance. A new standing seam metal roof completed the exterior restoration.
The majority of the interior surfaces were preserved.
The "Studio Barn" Summer 2017
We are excited to continue working with the creative, passionate and hard working community at Turner Farm.
For more information about this unique community, visit turnerfarm.org.
The "Studio Barn" when restoration began
The seven-sided greenhouse on the south end of the barn has been rebuilt with a locally sourced stone foundation and a more energy efficient window system.
In the second phase the original shed addition on the back of the barn was renovated to house a modern commercial teaching kitchen, designed to educate people on how to understand proper nutrition and food preparation.
A reconstructed rear addition was built to have a similar profile to the previous shed addition and to blend in with the historic structure while housing a modern prep kitchen, mechanical systems and ADA compliant restrooms.
The barn after the closed cell foam insulation was installed
The south end of the building showing the greenhouse
The interior including reporpoused wood banasters
The interior looking from the historic barn into the kitchen addition
Owner: Dayton History
The Patterson Homested, built in 3 stages between 1816 and 1850, is a Dayton landmark under the care of Dayton History. It was the home of Col. Robert Patterson, a Revolutionary War soldier and one of the founders of both Lexington, KY and Cincinnati, OH. Three generations of Pattersons were raised in the house, including Col. Patterson's grandson, John H. Patterson, the legendary industrialist and founder of the National Cash Register Co.
Our most recent project on this property concerned the two story porch on the 1850's section of the house. The porch's box gutter had been leaking off and on for years, causing severe detrioration to the porch below.
In deconstructing the gutters we discovered that the center of the gutters was the lowest point which had been a consistant source of difficulty. We jacked up sections of the porch to correct the slope and improve drainage. We altered the cross section of the gutter to increase capacity and to encourage draining in the correct direction. We took out 4 layers of previous guttter liners and lined the rebuilt gutters with new copper. We filled the gutters to capacity and observed the flow of water to confirm that waster was draining propely before completing the project.
The deteriorated wood resulting from the leaking gutters extended all the way to the floor joists. Damaged wood was replaced with custom made matching woodwork.
Owner: City of Dayton, OH
One of our most unusual projects has been the restoration of the Ridge Avenue Bridge WWI Howitzer for the city of Dayton. This cannon was placed at the bridge as a monument to local soldiers who mustered near the site during WWI. This French 75 gun was never prepared for display outdoors and was severely rusted and deteriorated. The firing pin and breach were rusted beyond repair and it was nescessary to remove the barrel in order to sand blast and paint all exposed serfaces.
We are grateful for the assistastance and expertise provided by Bond Machinery and Legacy Finishing, both of Franklin, OH.
Color Gaurd at the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
Andy and Rob working on the brake
Deterioration caused by leaking gutters
Using water to test the new gutters