New Roofs on Historic Buildings
John H. Patterson, the founder of NCR Corporation, brought a bit of the Adirondacks to Dayton, Ohio in 1906 when he had this shelter built at his estate. It became the prototype for shelters constructed in Hills and Dales Park, Patterson’s gift to Dayton in 1907. Now the only remaining of these structures, it was moved to Carillon Park in 2011, when we were contracted to replace the roof. After strengthening the sagging ridgepole using saplings from the property, extending the eave line to keep water from landing on the tops of the log walls, and building a chimney “cricket” to deflect water from the massive chimney, we replaced the worn out wood shakes with sustainably produced treated pine shakes.
Patterson Adirondack Shelter
Paul Laurence Dunbar Carriage House
Warren County, Ohio
We hand formed and installed the standing seam roof on this privately-owned, circa 1810 farmhouse. This standing seam roof has hand formed seams that incorporate factory formed rowlocks. Note the rowlock stair stepping regularly up the roof. This blending of factory finishing with hand forming can be a nice compromise to give a historic look as well as the advantages of modern technology. The roof on this stone farmhouse has a factory paint finish with a 40-year warranty.
Standing Seam Roof on a Farmhouse
During the summer of 2014, we replaced the roof on the carriage house with Western Red Cedar shingles, treated to resist decay. Rob came up with an interesting method of aligning the shingles, which saved us a lot of time. In the lower picture, you can see three screw guns which we used to raise and lower a guide board.
With Rob's system, bolts were fixed in place in the guide boards and all thread rods were fitted through the bolts into the screw guns. The end result was that the the guide boards could easily be moved up and down. The shingles are butted up against this board so that they all fall in a straight line and can be more easily nailed into place.
From the left: Ken, Bruce, Rob, Susan and Alex Heckman - Director of Education and Museum Operations at Dayton History
Rob and Ken apply shingles
Screw guns being used to move a guide board
The shelter with its new pine roof
The extensions on the eave line
The chimney cricket to divert water from behind the chimney
The Adirondack Shelter with Lilly, who manages this website.